Two SASEC road connectivity projects completed

Of three mega South Asia Sub-regional Economic Cooperation (SASEC) projects, two packages are complete in Pasakha.

The Department of Roads (DoR) has contracted the entire project which is split into three packages. The first package was the construction of the Bhalujhora bridge. The second package was to construct the multicellular box culvert across Bahunijhora, and the third being the development of land customs station.

The site development work of 3.8 acres of land for Land Customs Station under package two is now complete and handed over to Phuentsholing Thromde for super structures development works. PhuentsholingThromde had recently tendered the work to construct the structures.

The Multi-cellular Box Culvert along including gabion protection wall along Bhalujhora was completed in May.

The 123-m pre-stressed concrete girder bridge along the Bhalujhora River is now 90% complete. โ€œIt will complete by June and will open for traffic,โ€ said Tshewang, DoRโ€™s Project Manager. The remaining works on installation of railings and footpaths on the bridge are being carried out.

The black topping of the 1.3km road is also finished, including base course works. The road is now open for traffic.

The project will improve the Pasakha bypass road and link the industrial estate. The executing and implementing agency is the DoR.

All the three packages are contracted to private contractors for 15 months from 2017. The work on the Bhalujhora bridge started from January this year and the Construction Development Corporation Limited is handling the works.

The Nu 324mn project is funded 81% by Asian Development Bank as grant under the South Asia Sub-regional Economic Cooperation (SASEC) Road Connectivity Project. The remaining 19% of the cost is government funded.

DoR had initially awarded the entire package to M/S Gaseb Construction Private Limited which began works from 2015. The contractor was however terminated in 2017 failing to meet the deadline.

The project was restarted in 2018 after dividing into three packages with three different construction companies handling the works. Construction Development Company Limited is working on the Bridge while, M/s Gyalcon Infra and Druk Chabchhab Construction Company worked on package II and III respectively.

DoR will also submit report feasibility study on the maintenance of the 10km stretch road from Kharbandi to Pasakhato ADB. The study was conducted this year. If approved the work will begin from next year, the Manager said. It is expected to cost around Nu 150mn to maintain the road. Currently, the road is in a sorry state due to erosion at multiple areas. Also the blacktop till Bhalujhora has worn out causing potholes.

Krishna Ghalley from Phuentsholing