Import of petroleum products slightly increases in 2015

However, the import value dropped to Nu 7,370.9mn last year from Nu 8,432.66mn in 2014

Yenten Thinley
from Thimphu

Although the total volume of fossil fuel imported in the country slightly increased last year, the import value in terms of monetary took a dive.

Petrouleum products include petrol, diesel, kerosene, Liquefied petroleum gas, furnance oil and bitumen among others.

In 2015, Bhutan imported petroleum products worth Nu 7,370.9mn, down from the import value of Nu 8,432.66mn in 2014.

A total of 166,433.64 Kilo Liter (KL) of petroleum products were imported in 2014, which was a decrease of 1.7% compared to 2013 import figures. However, last year, the volume of petroleum products increased by 2.34% over 2014 import figures, reaching 170,355.16 KL.

There are four primary oil distributor companies in the country, excluding Bhutan Industrial Gas that deals in commercial gas cylinders.

In 2014, Bhutan Oil Distributor (BOD) and Bhutan Oil Corporation (BOC) imported 79.62% of the total fossil fuel while Druk Petroleum Corporation Limited (DPCL) imported 12.18% and Damchen Petroleum Distributors (DPD) imported 7.89%. Bhutan Industrial Gas imported a measly 0.31%of the total petroleum products.

In 2015, BOD and BOCโ€™s import dropped to 72.23% while DPCL and DPD increased its import to 18.35% and 8.94% respectively. Bhutan Industrial Gas also slights increased its import to o.48%.

In terms of market share of the quantity of petroleum products imported, 50.54% was imported from Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL) while the rest 49.46% was imported from Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL).

In 2015 the market share in terms of the quantity of petroleum products imported from IOCL increased by 8.06% while imports from BPCL decreased by 8.06%.

A total of 53,715 KL of diesel, worth of Nu 2,733.86mn and 13,282 KL of petrol, worth of Nu 757.18, was imported from IOC in 2014. A total of 63,558.80 KL of diesel, worth Nu 3,177.52mn and 18,007.20 KL of petrol, worth of Nu 1,062.76mn, was imported from from BPCL.

Last year, Bhutan imported a total of 122,091.4KL of diesel, a slight increase from 117,273.8KL in 2014. Import of petrol also increased from 31,289.30KL in 2014 to 33,880.60KL in 2015.